SJRH Palliative Care Service focuses on improving the quality of life for our hospitalized patients by addressing issues causing them distress whether they be physical, emotional, social or spiritual. Palliative care is not hospice care which is limited to those with a life expectancy of six months or less but can be delivered at any stage of a patient’s illness even when they are seeking curative care.
Our Patient Focus:
- Patients with chronic illness and impairment of function who may still live for many years but have a significant burden of disability and medical need.
- Seriously ill patients with advanced illness.
- Patients with a terminal illness.
Our Treatment Goals:
- Help patients and their families clarify their goals of care from the beginning of treatment and support them at any stage of the challenging treatment process.
- Provide expert assessment and treatment of the symptoms of distress including pain, fatigue, anxiety, and depression.
Who We Are:
A team of professionals with weekly team meetings and daily involvement in your care.
These Members Include:
Board Certified Palliative Nurse and Physician; Psychologist; Social Service and Clinical Care Experts; Holistic Care Nurse, Pastoral Care Service; Nursing Instructor and Staff Nurses; Hospice and Calvary Hospital Representation; Pharmacy and Dietary Staff; Respiratory and Physical Therapy Staff Members.
Palliative Care team members work with your Physicians and can advise you in concert with your MD on referrals, treatments, medications and possible transfers.
Coping with serious and chronic illness is stressful. SJRH Palliative Care Service wants to help you and your family avoid feelings of frustration, anxiety and anger about your illness. We want to learn about your concerns and support you during difficult times and assist with your decision making.